Join in, get involved, learn for life
Join in, get involved, learn for life
Student life is not just about reading, studying and learning late into the night. University has much more to offer than that: semesters abroad, student clubs, sports classes, language lessons and all kinds of creative projects.
You want to get involved and dive into student life with your own ideas?
Play an active part in university life
- Student initiativesYou want to know where you can get involved as a student? Then we’ve got just the thing for you! The pages on students' activites and involvement[de] give you an inside of the wide variety of student initiatives[de]. You’ll be sure to find something to suit you there.
- Your work on university committeesIf you would like to be an advocate for other students and are keen to take on responsibilities, then perhaps joining a university committee or council[de] is the perfect choice for you.
- Student clubs
Your brain is aching from all that learning and you need to get out for a bit? Then why not relax in one of the student clubs? From pub nights and quizzes to films and partying, there’s all kinds of fun things going on that will take your mind off your books!
There’s much more to being a student than just going to lectures and learning!
If we’re honest, your student years are the best time to change the world for the better. There are all sorts of student initiatives you can join to meet new people, get involved in student issues and take on responsibility. If you get involved with university life beyond your studies, you won’t just benefit from it personally. It will also benefit your professional future, too. So it’s well worth joining in!
Get fit for studying with key skills
Study skills and soft skills
Study skills play an important role on your path to academic success and in your professional life.
To put it simply, they are essential for young graduates. Strengthen your skills with a variety of courses and workshops, and learn how to deal with the many different tasks you will face as a student and the demands of the world of work.
- Work on your study skills[de] in the Lern|RAUM[de].
- Become a dab hand at research and using databases with the University Library courses.
- Enhance your skills in Excel, PHP and more besides on University Computer Centre courses[de].
- Get ready for the world of work with workshops run by the Career Service.
- Become a tutor and prepare yourself to teach others with the tutor programme[de].
- Sign up for the Student Buddy Programme and boost your intercultural skills.
- How to improve your academic competences? Enhance your skills with the program of Academic Integration[de].
- Take a wider perspective and attend classes or lectures in other disciplines as part of the Studium Generale[de].
- Want to be your own boss? It’s never too early to start thinking about setting up your own business. Make the most of the services offered by SAXEED[de].
Do you want to combine your studies with a stay abroad?
Gain experience in other countries
Goodbye home, hello adventure?
A semester abroad offers you the ideal opportunity to leave behind what you know and dive into a new adventure. Whether you choose to study at one of the many international partner universities of Chemnitz University of Technology, or you do an internship in another country, your degree programme will offer you all sorts of opportunities to experience life abroad and enhance your CV. If you have any questions about studying or working abroad, the International Office provides useful advice.
You want to refresh and improve your language skills? Then you’re in the right place here.
Learning and practising a language
Language learning made easy!
The Foreign Languages Centre offers a broad range of courses that you can use to improve and expand your language skills. Best of all: courses are free for students. You can also meet international students and practise your skills by joining a language tandem.
You enjoy sport and want to stay fit? Chemnitz has plenty to offer sports enthusiasts.
Play sport, stay fit.
- Everything that university sport has to offerGet in shape, lift some weights, get moving – when it comes to sport, Chemnitz University of Technology has plenty to offer. The activities offered by the University Sports Programme[de] ranges from acrobatics and circuit training, to more unusual sports such as muggle quidditch or unicycling. The weight rooms at the Centre for Fitness and Health (ZfG) also offer a good alternative to a lazy evening on the sofa. Plus, there’s a host of clubs that you can join within the University Sports Club[de].
- Chemnitz – your city of sportChemnitz is, and has always been, really enthusiastic about sports: outstanding athletic achievement is something of a tradition here. You only have to look at the many renowned athletes who are now famous throughout the world to realise this. Want to get active? Or do you prefer cheering on your team? On City of Chemnitz pages you will find lots of information about sports in Chemnitz. Or find out more on the Website "Die Stadt bin ich"[de].
- Get active in Chemnitz’s clubsShare your passion for sport with like-minded individuals! Chemnitz has a wide array of sports clubs[de] – from football to athletics and swimming. Or perhaps you fancy trying something new and discovering sporting talents you didn’t even know you had? The choice is yours.
- Sport in the Erzgebirge region and Saxon SwitzerlandThis is no place for couch potatoes! If you think that the Erzgebirge and Saxon Switzerland are only good for hiking, think again. Rough-and-ready trails for exciting mountain bike tours, steep cliffs for climbing, and snow-covered slopes and fairy-tale landscapes for skiing or snowboarding[de] in winter[de]. Winter or summer, there’s always something energetic to do. So don’t stay at home – dive into a sporting adventure!
Whether you’re a novice or a total fitness freak, whether you prefer traditional team sports in a club or more unusual sporting activities, there’s something for everyone at Chemnitz University of Technology.
The University Sports Club, not to mention the city of Chemnitz and the surrounding region, all offer the perfect environment to get moving.
On your bike! The circular cycle track around Chemnitz takes you past venerable old buildings such as the moated Klaffenbach Castle, Lichtenwalde Castle and Rabenstein Castle, and invites you to take a short detour to Einsiedel Dam. And if you’re tired after lots of cycling, there’s always the bus or train to get back.
Culture certainly isn’t in short supply here either.
Enjoy music, drama and culture
- University ChoirDo you enjoy singing? Bring your passion to the stage together with other members of the University by singing in the University Choir [de]. With a mix of classic pieces and modern hits, variety does not come too short.
- Collegium MusicumIf your passion is classical music and you can play an orchestra instrument, you should definitely consider the Collegium Musicum [de].
- TU Big BandRhythm is in the blood? TU Big Band thrills audiences with its jazz and swing arrangements. Join in and show how the orchestra has got rhythm.
- Student Theatre GroupCurtain up! Slip into different roles, be creative and amaze your audience. If you have just as much fun at the theatre as we do, then you should definitely join the Student Theatre Group[de].
- Culture TicketAs a student of the TU Chemnitz you are provided with the culture ticket. The culture ticket come with your TUC-Card and gives you free admission to many cultural institutions. Included here are the Art Collections, the Museum of Industry and the Natural History Museum, as well as the Chemnitz Theater. You have free admission to all regular performances where there are still unsold seats. You only need to be there 15 minutes before the start and have your TUC card with you.
- Theatres in ChemnitzFor those interested in culture, the Städtische Theater Chemnitz[de] are absolutely not to be missed! Chemnitz audiences have come to expect impressive stage productions and first-class live entertainment here. Explore the worlds of opera, ballet, philharmonic orchestras, drama and puppet theatre.
- Other theatres in ChemnitzArtists put heart, body and soul into creative performances for their audiences at the Off-Bühne KOMPLEX[de] and the Fritz Theater[de] ‒ displaying the pure joy of the performing arts.
- Chemnitz museumsCan we interest you in more culture? From the Chemnitz Art Collections[de] to the Museum of Industry to the Saxony Museum of Archaeology, there’s something to see and learn in Chemnitz whatever your interests are. Experience for yourself the variety of Chemnitz museums and be thrilled by fascinating exhibitions on past and present.
Are theatre and music your thing?
Well, the Chemnitz campus has something to interest you! Sing in the University Choir or play in the TU’s big band orchestra. Take centre stage in a play and delight your audience. Or do you prefer a leisurely visit to a museum? It’s up to you!
Making media at TU Chemnitz
Try getting involved in TV and radio
You always wanted to do something in the media?
Then try your hand at presenting, directing or working behind the scenes on producing films or radio programmes. At TU Chemnitz, you can gain experience in the entire spectrum of media production.